<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 14, 2003

Alien language requirements: Some schools are renaming foreign language requirements, language requirements. Eugene thinks this is silly. I disagree.
People who live around San Diego tend to speak English, Spanish, Chinese,
or American Sign Language. There might also be a few Commanche or Apache speakers. We study these languages so we can speak to each other. I don't study English so I can visit England, or Spanish to visit Spain, or Latin to visit Latin America or the Vatican. I wish I knew Spanish, so I could talk to more of my neighbors. I wish I knew ASL, so I could talk to that cute guy at the club.
I studied Latin to learn grammar. Calling these 'languages' makes more sense than calling them foreign languages, and it's economical. Was the change made as the result of PC zealots? Probably, but let's not employ the Mussolini fallacy.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?