<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 29, 2004

will will will,
and the heinous contranyms.
my roommate (i've moved) said something was heinous. i lifted an eyebrow and asked, is that good or bad? I could have asked, is that phat, or stoopid? Wicked? Hot? This teen slang (he's 40something) seems to contain many contronyms. War is peace, freedom is slavery, work is freedom. Will's been writing about contronyms, with good examples. I'm just pointing out that they are more common than i thought. I think the one's will writes about are the ones that aren't used for ironic coolness, but just happen to mean their own opposite.
Wil wrote,
terms of Gershwin's will specify that English-speaking countries may only produce Porgy and Bess with all-black casts.
and i was thrown for a moment until i sorted out 'will' was being used as a noun, not a verb, or tense modifier, or whatever you call those.
Franklin Institute, isn't that the case of a philadelphia foundation for white students, and they modified to take out the white part? Can the all black casters be sued for racial discrimination; can the estate? Will it be a hate crime to produce porgy and bess? I see the problem, I have no answer. In theory, I support freedom of choice for private agents to discriminate, because of the few examples like this one where discrimination seems to make some sense. In theory, theory and practice come out the same. In practice, they don't. I support the right of lesbian bartenders to exclude me if they wish, although it hurts my feelings if they do. 



Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?