<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 05, 2004

BMV update:
How was my weekend, you didn't ask?
I shaved, put on a tie, went to the BMV before it closed, no line.
I presented the info they requested, my birth certificate, a major credit card,
some documents showing that I already had an Indiana drivers license, I'm just trying to replace the one that got lost or stolen.
Getting my birth cert had been a hassle. In order to get it from my home state,
you have to have a drivers license. And you can't get a driver's license without a birth certificate. Terrorism at work. I ended up having my lawyer get the birth cert,
which took a few months of paperwork back and forth.
The name on my birth cert is different from my legal name, because it was changed as a kid. It was not changed in a court - not required to be - and there is no paperwork existing anywhere that documents the change. This was today's excuse for denying me my right to a license.
I asked to see the requirement in writing, since no such requirement was listed on the written info they claimed to be relying on. I was given a number to call.
I called the number and after being on hold, talked to someone with an Indian accent who did not give her name. (It is department policy to refuse to give names.)
She would nopt provide a written statement of the policy, but said I could look it up at the library under BMV regulations. I went to the library. No such book, no such regulation in the state adminsitrative code. I found and printed off an affidavit of one and the same name and got it notarized, and I'll bring that with me on my next trip. The most important thing I need to do is go to a different branch - the virginia avenue branch goes out of its way to be (jerks.)
I let them know I was upset, without freaking out totally.
I drove home. I'm relatively calm. I'll give it another shot, and then meet with the lawyer again. OK, calm isn't quite the word. I'm vexed, annoyed. I'd seen this coming. But I'm coping ok. Making soup from leftovers, thinking about adding some curry to it. Some of the other things on my to do list depended on getting the ID.
I still might do another of the items on this list today.
I have to be pretty calm and in a good mood to even make the list; most of this week
I was stressing about the election, and didn't try to do much else.
Ended up being a good week anyway (aside from the election), new roommates, which was an excuse to clean and rearrange things. I try not to do a lot of personal whining on this blog, but I'm allowing myself some room to do so in this entry, as part of telling the BMV story. There should be a blog, a forum, for people to list their horror stories with the BMV and that sort of agency. Not everyone is as close to nervous collapse and paranoia and learned helplessness as I am, but the BMV is this way for lots and lots of people.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?