<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Baude has some interesting ideas about statehood, and pun-ctuation.
Yes, there is a sanity clause, west virginia.
A short story:
My family goes to libraries the way some families to go the stadium.
In my hometown the library was downtown on Rodney Square, which is the one with
the statute of Ceasar Rodney on a horse, riding to Philadephia to cast the first vote for the Declaration of Independence. Or the constitution. Or something. I'm mixed up, because I remember it happening on Delaware Day, December 7th, possibly September 7th.
Jim Blaine's grandfather's ram.
So that state quarter, I think they did Delaware first, is of the statute. Not of the real guy, just of the statue. Because the real guy rode in a carriage - he was dying of cancer at the time and would have fallen off a horse; it just makes a better statue.
Now Delaware used to part of Pennsylvania, until the revolution, when it split off.
Delaware is three counties, two at high tide.
So it's like a small town with two senators. I only met Senator Roth once, but everybody knew his dog Max, a St. Bernard. I think the first time I wrote Senator Biden was in 72, and he had me over to his house in 75 when we were working on the Carter campaign.
The idea of Texas being able to split into 5 states has been part of the deal all along. Texas is big; I can drive from here to Texarkana and still be only halfway to where I'm going in Texas. But Baude's idea about splitting whyoming into 20 states to pack the senate - hmm. I'm going to guess that a majority of senators, R or D, would not go along. They would be voting to dilute their own power. Maybe if it were done slowly, the way you boil a frog.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?