<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 28, 2005

In the crowded theatre of the blogverse, somebody's yelling FIRE.
http://www.thefire.org/
It's those free speech on campus guys.
Note to self: add to sidebar.

Meanwhile, I rant in the volokhian comments about my fixation:
anonymous politicar speech on the internet.
And i'm about to cut and paste that to here, but first an interlude.
The New Yorker's grammarian has died. The obit conjures the era of Harold Ross.

Miss Gould once found what she believed were four grammatical errors in a three-word sentence. And yet the sentence, by Lawrence Weschler (and, alas, no longer remembered), was published as written.
In some cases, Miss Gould’s suggestions took the ideal of clarity to Monty Python-like extremes.


I've been wrestling with this issue in the context of Talley v California and McIntyre v Ohio. These cases held that the government cannot require identification disclaimers on political literature. In 96 and 97 I contacted states asking them to revise their campaign guides in light of McIntyre. I was usually told that they would continue to enforce their (void) statutes until someone sued them. Due largely to my ineptness, I haven't done too well at suing them.
Judge Posner at the seventh circuit mistakenly thought that McConnell had overruled McIntyre, and upheld the statute in Majors v Abell. In Anonymous v Delaware, the judge found that the statute was so obviously unconstitutional we didn't have standing to contest it. One of my main bottlenecks is lack of cocounsel in the 20 or so states where I'd like to bring these cases.
I would prefer of course, that the officials simply comply with what the Supreme Court has held. I personally think they have an ethical and legal duty to do so; others see it differently.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?