<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Virtual therapy:
Very interesting article via froomkin.
It's about using virtual reality to cure fear of spiders.
I don't have a fear of spiders, per se.
But I used to have a girlfriend who had a fear of spiders.
What I do have a fear of freaked out girlfriends.
This is an extension of my general social phobia.. if I have to be around people, I want them calm, not screaming in panic.
So for years, even after we broke up, I'd be nervous around spiders.
Anyway.
So they were doing a virtual reality therapy thing for people with fear of heights.
I have that.
And this lady, "miss muffet", said she'd like to try it for her fear of spiders.
They built a spider simulator, she spent some time using, voila, she was cured.
I wonder if it would work for my fear of bureaucrats.
I need to send this article to my boyfriend tech support guy. He lives in his game, elfclear or something, is entreprenuerial, has phobias.
Maybe that's what fairy tales, brothers grimm style, are about,
getting innoculated to scary monsters under the bed.
So Disney versions might not work.
I think Bruno Bettleheim advanced this thesis once, not the Disney part.
Just saying I didn't invent the idea.
Phobias are useful, to a point. Spiders can bite, some people are allergic. Falling from heights can be hazardous. My writer's block may have some useful function ...
if I published more, I'd have more enemies.
Anyway, we have all this hollywood technology for scaring people.
Maybe it could be put to some productive use.
Thanks to robertopia.com I learned the strikeout tag.
and found this silly lotr gif.
http://waxy.org/random/images/weblog/mortor.gif

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?