<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Book 25, 50 book challenge.
Takedown, the pursuit and capture of Kevin Mitnick.
I'd picked this up for 50 cents at the thrift store awhile back, but not read it, because I'd heard it was overhyped, demonizing Mitnick. I'm part of the free kevin faction. But it turns out to be about about people like John Gilmore, who is one of my brother's [http://idiom.com/~wcs]friends, and Tom Jennings, who I got a crush on when I met him and John in 1992, so I'm enjoying the book. I have a statute of limitations running next week so I may need to put down the books and actually do some work for a change, but I think I'll finish this one first. Chapter 2, which I'm on now, is about coming of age as a computer geek. I can relate. I've never made it to the core of computergeekdom myself, but I'm a fellow traveler; that's my culture. I need to write up my own life story someday.

update: Takedown is coauthored by the nyt's john markoff. Today's (may 2) slashdot has a review of a new book by Markoff, about how some hippies in the bay area built the personal computer, way back when.

Book 24, 50 book challenge.
The Senator's Daughter, Victoria Gotti

the senator's daughter
arbi says:
(is the name of the book)
arbi says:
it's one of those where of the ten characters they are all either related or screwing or trying to kill each other, or more than one


It's not that bad for a first novel. Good characters, prose ok, it was just that it loses suspension of disbelief, when everybody, except the dog, is plotting against everybody else. It was what it was, a trashy novel when i couldn't sleep last night.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(1) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?