<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Crescat-blogging:
Article by amanda on being united methodist and under 70.
I might add some thoughts later.
Letter from W.T. to Financial Times about the pope as CEO was laugh out loud funny,
at least for the sort of people who can follow what Bainbridge talks about.
Will writes about paprika, a spice i am suspicious of and don't use much, and about salt. I guess my reaction to both is somewhat similar. I don't know much about the different kinds of paprika; I've thought of it as fungible, but he's right the Hungarian kind is less bland (and thus easier to get wrong.) I can see that sea salt is preferable to machine-made salt (if such existed) because it has more of the trace minerals and such, but still, except for particle size, salt is salt, no?
I am a child of the 70s and use a lot less salt than most americans. A little soy sauce now and then, fair amounts of garlic salt when im not using garlic.
As to obscene amounts of rosemary, I tried some rosemary and olive oil triscuits recently. Obscene. Horrid. Way way too much rosemary. No too much olive oil, though; the stuff literally had more salt than olive oil. The stores couldn't sell it so they gave it to the food pantry. The food pantry couldn't give it away, so it ended up with me - aardvarks have our sources. But if you see it on the shelf, stay away, or get some for the reason people look at train wrecks.
My recent spice aquisitions included cumin, although I still don't have a decent mortar and pestle to replace one that broke, and I forget what else from the indian market and Mr Lee's supermarket - I took a rare visit to the west side while looking for and not finding Otakurama. Today my car is stuck in a mud puddle, and here i am online instead of out finding a tow truck.

Update: cres-cat Heidi makes a case for good salt. I think she'll be a good lawyer - very persuasive.
It turns out I left my salt in Ann Arbor. It's okay -- I guess -- because the girl whose apartment I'm subletting left her salt here and said I could use it. The problem, of course, is that I have a lovely sel gris at home, and some finer fleur de sel to finish with, and she's got a big blue cylinder of Morton's. The salt you buy in bulk in the stores is, basically, sodium chloride and sodium iodide. Nothing more. Sea salt once; spoiled forever. The complexity of the flavor just gives you a fuller taste. Nothing will ever be the same.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?