<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 20, 2005

Book 32 (i think?)
The Deal. Sabin Willet, 1996. On my front porch I have a box of books. Nice weather yesterday so I sat out there, picked up a book, just finished (434 pages.)
A Grishamesque legal thriller murder mystery kinda thing. It's a first novel by a big firm harvard lawyer about some big firm harvard lawyers. It's about the bust-up of a law firm. I wrote earlier about a bust-up. That's when the mob finds an established business with good credit and goodwill, and uses it to run a scam.
When the business is a big law firm, the scam can be pretty big.
(When the business is a government, the scam can be an empty social security lock-box.)
It's a game theory prisoner's dilemma question. Is -this- deal big enough to be worth cashing in all your reputation capital for, or should you stick around and wait for a better chance? While he's no Grisham, it was a good read, if you know something about Boston, law, and computer forensics, so it spoke to me.
I did nothing else this weekend. On Friday I closed a four parcels of a five-parcel deal with habitat for Humanity. On Sunday I had a nice talk with one of my mentors about the cover-your-ass letter I need to write to paper around a few irregularities at the closing. Lawyers are notorious deal killers, and I know enough about real estate law to notice there were a few technical problems, but not so big as to kill the deal.
The set up in The Deal is that somebody writes "thousand" instead of "million" on the mortgage for a skyscraper, and nobody notices till too late. Hilarity ensues.

Plan for the day:
check scotusblog, pick up dry cleaning, don't stay out at the club too late, big day tomorrow. roommate gets out of jail then all day at the doctor's office for some tests.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?