<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Howard reports:
"An Anonymous Blogger Preps for the Big Time; Lively Postings and Plum Press Mentions Have Delivered Fans, Detractors and Opportunity": The ABA Journal eReport provides an article that begins, "What began as a Web log to help deal with insomnia and stay in touch with friends now gets more than 100 comments a day. Its author, a 27-year-old New York City law firm associate, fears the notoriety could get her fired."
Posted at 02:00 PM by Howard Bashman

Anonymity is precious. Exposing who she is could get her fired, and affect her safety. Thousands of other bloggers and writers are in her shoes. We live in a world in which a couple dozen journalists a year get killed, others to go to prisons or gulags, others merely lose their jobs. The Supreme Court has five times upheld the right to anonymous speech, echoing a dozen lower court opinions. But the FEC and a number of state elction authorities try to treat anonymity as a crime. I'm trying to get this to stop. Little success so far. It's become a hot button issue for me. There are dozens of other violations of my civil liberties that irk me. I've just chosen to focus on this one for now, and when I win this one I'll move on to something else, if I live that long.
My late friend Peter McWilliams said, you can do anything you want, but you can't do everything you want.

Her blog is actually pretty good. Email evasion provides a greater challenge due to the baneful Blackberry, that incessant tether which I'm convinced is paving a path to the next logical step, a Total Recall-esque homing device inserted into the nostrils of each associate during first year orientation.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?