<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 09, 2005

Uphill in the snow:
Steve Jobs talks about being a college dropout.
Found while looking for "eco-terrorism" info.
It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5ยข deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. Let me give you one example:
He also lists getting fired and getting cancer as high points in his life.
My college years were similar, although it was a shorter walk to the Hare Krishna, and I didn't become a multimillionaire. There was one semester when my dad was paying my tuition with IBM options as a tax avoision method, and one of my roommates - five of us in a 1 bedroom at $50/mo each - mentioned that Apple was going public. I thought about suggesting it to Dad, but we weren't communicating very well and I didn't. That was in an era when we were busy porting our mainframe programs over to the Apple II. The educational software we were developing never caught on on a stand-alone basis; what made it work on the mainframe was email, discussion groups, chat, user-friendly interface, notesfiles that were basicly early blogs. The move to microcomputers killed that off and it was years before I had those tools again, but I had seen the future.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?