<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Will mentions that Octavia Butler has died, of a fall. She was 58 - I'm 45, and I thought she was younger than I was the one time I met her. It was my first con, a tiny one in Jeff City Missouri, at a Holiday Inn. We were sitting in the lounge and she said hi and we made a bit of small talk, with me having no clue she was the Guest of Honor. Later when I read Kindred, her first novel, I was reminded of Toni Morrison's 'Beloved', a much more famous book. She had won the McArthur genius prize, which is one answer to what does an SF writer do to support her habit (of writing.) She has some ten books out there I havent read yet. I don't read much SF these days, although I did pick up a Varley yesterday along with bios of Hillary Clinton and LBJ.
update: conspirator tyler cowen at slate has more.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?