<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Wil Wheaton, my blogfather, writes at suicidegirls about 5 books geeks should read.
One of them is Bruce Sterling's The Hacker Crackdown. Bruce told me this is the book that has let him make a living as a writer; it outsells his fiction. It doesn't shock me that he gives it away - that's how we sell books these days. I first met bruce in 1992. He was giving a talk at an eff conference, where I was sitting at a table with Craig Neidorf and the editors of Phrack and some lady from the IRS, with Emanuel Goldstein at the next table and Phiber Optik wandering by. The Hacker Crackdown is Craig's story. Also at the table was a high school kid with a badge that said "Robbin Stewart", which is my name. He'd stolen my badge in order to hack his way into the conference. I'd used a different method myself, and we got along well.

Another of the 5 is I Robot, the book, not the movie that Wil tried out for. My dad took me to hear Asimov one time. It was a rare bonding moment for us.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?