<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

50 books for 2007?
or, what i've been reading.
The American Black Chamber, herbert yardley.
Marco Polo if you can, William F Buckley.
Living History, Hillary Clinton.
Maui Revealed.

The American Black Chamber, herbert yardley.
Excellent and riveting story of a WWI era cryptographer who while working as a file clerk broke the US diplomatic codes, and went on to head a codebreaking agency.
I got it to give to my brother, who recently sold an anti-codebreaking invention.
It turns out my mother had read the book 40 years ago - sometimes I forget she used to be a spy.
I'd like to also read the same author's book on poker.
NSA link.
Wikipedia. Amazon.


One factoid: Yardley mentions in passing a threat to poison President Wilson at the Versailles treaty meetings, and that Wilson became sick and died in that time frame - was he assasinated?

Marco Polo if you can, William F Buckley.
U-2 era espionage novel. (Eisenhower, not Bono)
Living History, Hillary Clinton.
Something to read on the plane and give to my sister. I've read enough anti-hillary books I figured I'd listen to her side. Lightweight but helpful personal insights. Nobody's a crook in their own mind - everybody does what they think is the right thing at the time. Covers her transition from Goldwater girl to hippie chick, FOB,and co-president.
Maui Revealed. Where to go, what to do. We went and did.
One nice part was visiting the church where my sister in law went as a teen.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?