<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 05, 2007

“When was your first time?” asks Lizzy, looking not at me, or at the menu at the sushi bar in downtown Portland, but at what was in the display case behind the counter....
http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/05/addicted_to_sushi.php
Lizzy sighs. “The only thing better than ama-ebi are the heads,” she says. “Fried.”
“You want heads?” asks the sushi chef, and Lizzy looks at me, and I tell her I’ve never met a fried shrimp head I did not eat, and if they’ve got them here at Hiroshi, which I am now convinced is the best sushi bar in Portland, to bring them on.
While the heads are being prepared, we gaze at what’s inside the glass case; at octopus and striped bass; salmon skin and giant clam…

My first time was at sakura, at 82nd and college in indy, and we had the deep fried shrimp heads. That was around 1996, so I was late to the party. I'm usually fairly strictly vegan, but I figured the shrimp heads were something they were going to throw away anyway,and my date was cute. These days, the sushi I make isn't authentic or very good, but is vegan.
I tend to forget about pajamas media; I should add it to the blog roll.


Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?