<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

NYT: Excessive clutter and disorganization are often symptoms of a bigger health problem. People who have suffered an emotional trauma or a brain injury often find housecleaning an insurmountable task. Attention deficit disorder, depression, chronic pain and grief can prevent people from getting organized or lead to a buildup of clutter. At its most extreme, chronic disorganization is called hoarding, a condition many experts believe is a mental illness in its own right, although psychiatrists have yet to formally recognize it.

Compulsive hoarding is defined, in part, by clutter that so overtakes living, dining and sleeping spaces that it harms the person’s quality of life. A compulsive hoarder finds it impossible, even painful, to part with possessions. It’s not clear how many people suffer from compulsive hoarding, but estimates start at about 1.5 million Americans.

If I were to start the New Year with a resolution to clean my office, my kitchen,
and the boxes in the basement, I probably wouldn't end up keeping it very well, so I haven't. As usual, my resolutions are to drink more and spend more time chasing loose women - that way I won't be too upset if I fail again.
Which reminds me I need to go move two file cabinets.
Another part of the article. flylady.net, an organizational support page.

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?